When Life Throws You a Hernia….

You often realize how incredibly lucky you are.

I know I haven’t written much lately, have been feeling a bit weird towards running and my body and didn’t know quite what was going on, so instead of voicing it out, I did what I do best…. Keep it in.

The last few speed work runs I have done, and a couple of my tempo runs have been really hard. Pushed my body harder than normal and was feeling good over the results time wise, but not over how my body was feeling. I felt worn out and my abs were hurting more than normal, chalked it up to having my abs stitched during lower body lift and I was good to go.

Until Wednesday’s tempo run with Kendall. I don’t even think we were a km in before I was having the urge to dry heave. We stopped I heaved and then away we went again. My abs were sore but I kept speeding up even when I said I wanted to slow it down…. And dry heaved a few more times along the run.

I got home, took a bath and crashed somewhat early, sleep has been off and one eluding me for a while. Slept in 30 minutes past my alarm and knew it would be a rough day at work.

And then I got out of bed…. And holy crap let me tell you I almost threw up then and there. I couldn’t stand up straight. My abs felt like a hot knife was ripping through them and I was once again dry heaving. Showered, slowly got ready for work, and sat down at the kitchen table arguing with myself that I would not call in sick because I overdid it running.

I do not call in sick to work, it’s not who I am unless I am really sick. As long as I was slightly hunched the pain was bearable and I didn’t have the number to call in sick anyhow. A little voice inside my head kept saying this was wrong, not normal and I needed to see my weight loss surgeon ASAP. So I text’d a friend asking how bad traffic was going into Richmond so I could prepare myself for the drive.

I called work, told them I was going to the hospital and drove myself hunched over like an old lady 30+ km to Richmond. I got ahold of my surgeons office as soon as they were open, and they couldn’t get ahold of Dr Sampath because he was in surgery. The receptionist said go to emergency and tell them you are a bariatric patient and I have let Sampath know you are there.

In I went. The triage nurse saw me right away and got me into a room ASAP. They took blood, took vitals, prepped me for IV and Sampath saw me as soon as he could. He ordered a CT scan to ensure I had no blockages in my bowels and no internal hernias.


Trust me this was not how I planned to spend my day. I had gotten ahold of my husband and let my parents and brother know what was going on, and thankfully for social media let my friends know (and got in shit from multiple family who are far away over vague info with staying I am at emerg)

Vicki, my best friend who is more like a sister, said if I needed her she would leave work and come. I said I was fine. I signed paperwork to keep me overnight and called Ron saying please come to the hospital. I had my CT scan and they moved me into a different ward afterward. Vicki said they would come get my car (joys of few friends being able to drive standard) and I was trying to keep people updated.

Now let me tell you, this is why my surgeon rocks. This is the reason I drove past 3 closer hospitals to come to Richmond. My CT scan showed nothing. No hernia, no blockage, but Sampath was not willing to accept that. He bumped people waiting for the OR, scrubbed up and took me in. I signed off on paperwork saying more or less he would go in laproscopically and see what was wrong. If it was a hernia he’d fix it. Any bowel obstructions, if it was tangled or caught he would cut me open old fashioned and do what he had to. Let’s face it, any other surgeon wouldn’t have done that because they don’t understand how my body is different internally since weight loss surgery.

By 7pm I was somewhat awake in recovery, asking for Ron. The nurse, as they always do because they are awesome, snuck him in. The verdict was a small internal hernia that didn’t show up on the scan. If left alone, it would have probably caused me more serious problems later on.

And of course having my phone in the ward allowed me to realize how lucky I am for what I have in my life. People who I didn’t expect to message me did, family members ripped me one for scaring them, and I felt incredibly grateful over who I have in my life.

Sadly this might put a kink on my plans for what I had set as a time goal for Birch Bay Half. I don’t know how long I will be sidelined from running. I do know that my health comes first and as one friend said, “take this time focus on diet, get eating healthy drop weight and push it when you can go back”. I love my friends.

And because Kendall rocks here’s a random picture of her because nobody needs to see my double iv arm



2 thoughts on “When Life Throws You a Hernia….

  1. I must say, your selfie in the hospital is the best looking person in a hospital I have ever seen. So happy that you are on the road to recovery and that your surgeon rocks and that you friends are awesome….. As much as it stinks missing running a half, down time is such a wonderful time too. You can get intune with yourself and do things, read a book you’ve been wanting, that you normally don’t have time to do.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s